Michael Cohan, Esq.
- Personal Injury
- Automobile Accident
- Slip/Trip and Fall
- Truck Accident
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Motorcycle Accident
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Accident
- Lead Based Paint
- Brain Injuries
- Bed Sores (Pressure Ulcers)
Michael "Mike" Cohan is a passionate New York litigator who handles a wide range of cases including car accidents, trip and falls, construction accidents, wrongful death matters, bed sores, nursing home neglect and product liability cases. Michael receives much praise from clients for his knowledge of legal issues and profound understanding of the pain and suffering his clients endure.
Michael has successfully settled millions of dollars for his clients during his career. He prides his practice on constant client communication and understanding of his client's needs. At the same time, Michael is determined and tenacious when pursuing his clients' cases against adversaries.
Throughout his career, Michael has fought in the courtroom against large multinational corporations on behalf of injured workers in the United States. Most notably, Michael helped create international law when he argued successfully that Canadian corporations who distribute toxic products to the US could be subject to suit in the US and must produce documents in US litigation, even if those same corporations are subject to criminal penalties in Canada for producing such documents.
Awards and Associations
Michael has been elected by his peers to be a member of the prestigious "Super Lawyers", a designation awarded to the top 2.5% of attorneys within the personal injury practice. He has been designated as a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum for the settlements and awards obtained on behalf of injured clients. He was selected to the respected National Trial Lawyers - Top 40 under 40. Michael is a member of the New York City Bar Association and the New York State Trial Lawyers' Association.
Pro Bono Community Work
Michael spends his free time tutoring underprivileged high school students for the SAT exam. A staunch advocate for education, he believes every child deserves a chance. He is also general counsel, on a pro bono basis, to the community organization "Advocates Without Borders" where he helps educate New York City residents on their legal rights, and volunteers time in underprivileged communities. Michael has spoken at many board meetings for NYCHA residents on the hazards of lead paint, mold and asbestos.
- St. John's University School of Law, Jamaica, New York
- Juris Doctor - 2011
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: CALI (“Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction”)
- Stony Brook University
- B.A. - 2008
- Honors: Dean's List
- New York, 2012
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- New Jersey, 2012
- District of Columbia
- Super Lawyers
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 40 under 40
- Advocates Without Borders, General Counsel
- United States Department of Labor
- Honorable Judge Kathleen Tomlinson, Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of New York, Clerk
- New York City Bar Association, Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers’ Association, Member