What are the leading causes of car accidents?
As people drive in New York, there are many things they need to pay attention to. They need to pay attention to the speed limit, stop signs, stop lights, which roads they are approaching and other types of signs. They also need to pay attention to the other drivers on the road to know when they need to brake or they ensure lanes are clear before changing lanes.
With all of the various aspects of driving that people need to pay attention, it does not take much deviation from their responsibilities for car accidents to occur. They are many different reasons that accidents occur and it is important to understand how they occur in order to be able to help prevent them from happening.
Reasons why car accidents occur
Some of the common reasons car accidents occur are:
- Distracted driving: People looking at their phones, eating, talking to others in the vehicle and other actions which force people to take their eyes off the road
- Speeding: This could be driving over the speed limit or simply too fast for the conditions
- Taking unnecessary chances: This could be driving too closely to other cars, cutting people off when changing lanes and other dangerous driving behavior
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving the wrong way or taking improper turns
- Weather: Dangerous conditions caused by snow, ice or rain
- Defects with the car such as defective brakes or tire blow outs
When people in New York are driving their vehicles they can control their own actions and may be able to reduce the chance of accidents by avoiding behavior that causes accidents. However, people cannot control the actions of other drivers. For instance, if another driver runs a red light, it may be impossible to avoid the accident. In these situations, the innocent driver may be entitled to compensation for the damages they suffered. This can include compensation for damage to their vehicle, medical bills incurred to treat injuries and compensation for pain and suffering as well. Experienced attorneys understand the extent of the damages caused by car accidents and could be a useful resource.