New York Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer
It is increasingly common to see aggressive drivers rapidly changing from the left lane to the right, and back again, all to get ahead of one or two slower moving (and law-abiding) vehicles. Unsafe lane changes initiated by drivers who refuse to yield right of way to others can cause devastating side impact collisions that can cause serious injuries to innocent victims. If you suffered any type of injury because of another driver’s unsafe lane change, we can help you gather evidence and file a claim for compensation. At Cohan Law Firm, our New York unsafe lane change lawyers never stop aggressively advocating for the best interest of our clients.
Examples of Unsafe Lane Changes
Changing lanes should not be hard. Yet, thousands of drivers fail at this simple task everyday by causing unnecessary wrecks, and in the process injuring and killing innocent road users. Examples of unsafe lane changing includes the following:
- Failing to signal—New York law requires drivers to always use their turn signal at least 100 feet before initiating a lane change. At high speeds, prudent drivers give much more advance notice than this.
- Failing to check mirrors or look over one’s shoulder—All it takes is a quick glance in the side view mirror and checking over your shoulder to ensure a safe lane change is possible. Yet, some drivers do not feel the need to do this for one reason or another.
- Aggressive lane changing—Aggressive, road raged drivers will rapidly change from one lane to the next in an effort to get around slower moving vehicles. This drastically increases the likelihood of a crash, even if they are using their signals and “paying attention.”
- Accidental lane changes—Unintentionally drifting out of a lane usually signifies a distracted, drunk, or drowsy driver.
- Illegal lane changes—Certain road markings (typically marked by solid lines) make it illegal to change lanes. These areas are usually off limits to lane changes because they have been designated as hazard zones for one reason or another.
- Lane changes right before red lights—A common ploy of impatient drivers is to suddenly change lanes as they approach a red light. The goal is to choose the shorter line of cars to get behind, but the effect is to cause confusion and chaos right as everyone else is simply focused on slowing down at a reasonable rate; this type of lane change is likely to cause a rear-ender.
Call a New York Unsafe Lane Change Accident Attorney Today
Plaintiffs in unsafe lane change personal injury claims can seek compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and more. The only way to get this compensation is by working patiently with an attorney, who will build your case and hold firm to your demands when it comes time to negotiate a settlement. If you were hurt in an unsafe lane change scenario, we can help. Call the New York unsafe lane change attorneys at Cohan Law Firm today at 855-855-0321 for a complimentary consultation.